Are you a gamer who finished all his assignments for the day and is now trying to join his friends in an online game, but Discord is not working? Or are you trying to catch up with friends and family on a Discord call, but the app keeps crashing? I have caught myself in this situation too many times. It is frustrating when you want to join in on the fun, but Discord won’t work. I always google “Discord not working” and try to fix it myself, but it’s never as easy as the internet makes it seem. So, I decided to write this article with all the fixes I know for when Discord stops working. Hopefully, one of these will work for you too!
To fix Discord not working, here are the most common solutions:
- Check If Your Internet Connection is Working
- Re Login To Discord Again
- Make sure that you are using the Correct Date and Time
- Disable Firewall or Antivirus Software. If you have any
- Check If the Discord server is Down
- Update Discord app
- Reinstall the Discord App
- Reboot your device.
- Clear cache
- Force stop and restart Discord
These are the most common solutions to fix Discord not working. One of these should totally fix your problem! Read on to learn about each fix in detail.
Let’s talk a little about Discord before we get into the solutions. Discord is a VoIP app that lets gamers connect for gaming purposes. It’s basically like Skype but for gamers! You can join servers, create your server, and add friends to your friend list. It’s a great app for voice and text chat for gamers.
One of the great things about Discord is that it’s free and easy to use. You can download the app on your phone or computer and get started right away. It’s available on Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, and Linux. You can even use it in your web browser!
Some of the features that make Discord great are:
- Text and voice chat
- Integrated with Steam, Twitch, YouTube Gaming, and more
- Create servers for free
- Join servers of your friends
- Add friends to your friend list
- Direct messages with friends
- rich media (gifs, videos, etc.)
Discord has become very popular in the gaming community and is used by millions of people worldwide. It’s a great app for gamers to connect and play games together.
Discord Not Working
Discord is a great app, but it doesn’t always work. It could be working so smooth one second and the next it’s not working at all. Well, you can’t complain too much because it is free after all. And it’s difficult for an app to be perfect all the time when millions of people are using it.
But I get where you are coming from too. It’s frustrating when you want to join in on the fun, but Discord is giving you trouble. Your whole gaming experience could be ruined because Discord is not working.
There are a lot of reasons why Discord might not be working. It could be a problem with your internet connection, the Discord app, or even your device. But don’t worry! Having problems doesn’t mean that Discord is down for good. There are a lot of solutions to fix the problem.
Why Is Discord Not Working?
There is no particular answer to this question. The answer could be different for different people because the problem could be coming from different sources. It is hard to determine why Discord is not working without considering the individual’s setup and environment.
Knowing that many factors can contribute to Discord not working is important. The most common reasons are:
- Poor internet connection: When your internet connection is not strong, Discord will not work well. This is because Discord requires a strong and stable internet connection to function properly.
- The Discord app is outdated: If the Discord app on your device is out of date, it will not work well. A company brings new updates when they find new bugs or adds new features. So, it is important to keep your app up to date.
- The Discord app is incompatible with your device: Is Discord not working on your phone? It could be because the Discord app is not compatible with your device. This is a rare problem, but it does happen from time to time.
- There is a problem with your account: If you are having problems logging in or if Discord keeps disconnecting, there might be a problem with your account. This is usually not a big problem and can be easily fixed.
- The server is down: If you try to join a server, but it’s not working, it could be because the server is down. Unfortunately, this happens from time to time, and there is not much you can do about it. You have to wait until the server comes back up.
- You have too many tabs open in your browser: How many tabs do you have open in your browser right now? If you have too many, it could be causing Discord to not work. This is because each tab uses up some of your computer’s resources. So, having too many open tabs can slow down your computer and cause problems with Discord.
- A firewall or anti-virus software is blocking Discord: Are you using a firewall or anti-virus software? If so, it could be blocking Discord. Some of these programs can block Discord because they think it is a threat. But, you and I know that Discord is not a threat.
- Your device is not powerful enough: This is not a common problem, but it can happen. If your computer or phone is not powerful enough, it will have trouble running Discord. This is because Discord requires a lot of resources to run properly.
- Your device cache is full: Have you checked your device cache lately? If it is full, it can cause Discord to not work. This is because your device needs some free space to store data. So, if your cache is full, it will cause problems with Discord.
- You are using a proxy: If you are using a proxy, it could be causing Discord to not work. This is because a proxy can change your IP address. And, if your IP address is different than what Discord expects, it will not work.
- You have the wrong date and time: This might sound like a silly problem, but it can actually cause Discord to not work. Discord uses the date and time to connect to servers. So, if your date and time are not set correctly, it will cause problems with Discord.
So, these are the most common reasons why Discord is not working. If you are having problems with Discord, make sure to check these things first. Once you figure out what the problem is, you can easily fix it and get Discord working again.
How To Fix Discord Not Working?
Dont get too worried looking at the reasons above. In most cases, the solutions are pretty simple, and you can easily fix Discord not working. And no, you dont need any technical skills to fix Discord. The problems are usually with the Discord app or your account. So, here are some solutions to fix Discord not working:
Fix #01: Check Your Internet Connection
The first thing you should do is check your internet connection. As I said before, Discord requires a strong and stable internet connection to work properly. So, if your internet connection is not good, it will cause problems with Discord.
Fix #02: Clear Discord App Data
If the problem is with the Discord app, you can try clearing its data. This will reset the app and hopefully fix the problem. To clear Discord app data, follow these steps:
- First, open your phone’s settings and go to “Apps.”
- Find and tap on the Discord app.
- Next, tap on “Storage.”
- Now, select “Clear data” and confirm it.
The cache will now be cleared, and hopefully, the problem will be fixed.
Fix #03: Force Stop Discord
Another thing you can try is force-stopping Discord. This will close the app and hopefully fix the problem. To force stop Discord, follow these steps:
- Open your phone’s settings and go to “Apps.”
- Find and tap on the Discord app.
- Tap on “Force stop.”
- Confirm it, and the app will be closed.
Now, open the Discord app and see if the problem is fixed.
Fix #04: Disable Proxies
If you are using a proxy, it could be causing Discord to not work. Proxy is known to cause problems with Discord. So, if you are using a proxy, disable it.
Here is what you need to do:
- Open your computer’s settings and go to “Network & Internet.”
- Next, click on “Proxy” in the left sidebar.
- Make sure all the options are turned off in the right pane.
- Now, restart your computer and see if the problem is fixed.
Fix #05: Log Out And Log In
I know this seems like a silly solution, but it can fix many problems. So, if Discord is not working, try logging out and then logging in again. When you log in again, all the data will be refreshed, and hopefully, the problem will be fixed.
But seriously, you never know what wonders a simple login can do. So, give it a try and see if it works for you.
Fix #06: Use The Correct Date And Time
Fascinating how something so simple can cause such big problems. But, as I said before, the date and time are important for Discord to work properly. Not just Discord but many other apps and services use the date and time to connect to servers. So, if your date and time are not set correctly, it will cause problems.
So, check if your date and time are set correctly. If not, set them to the correct values and see if it fixes the problem.
Fix #07: Disable Firewall
Another thing that can cause Discord not to work is a firewall. If you have a firewall enabled, it can block Discord from connecting to the internet. I get it; firewalls are important, and they do a great job of protecting your computer. But, sometimes, they can cause problems with apps and services. So, if you have a firewall enabled, disable it and see if it fixes the problem.
Fix #08: Check Whether Discord Server Is Down
If discord is not working, it could be because the Discord servers are down. So yes, even though Discord is a very stable app, its servers can go down sometimes. When that happens, you won’t be able to use Discord.
The best way to check if the servers are down is by going to the official Discord status page. If the servers are down, you will see a message saying so. If not, then the problem is with your computer or phone.
If the servers are down, all you can do is wait for them to come back up. There is nothing else you can do in this case.
Fix #09: Update Discord
Are you sure you are using the latest version of Discord? If not, that could be the reason why Discord is not working. So, update Discord to the latest version and see if it fixes the problem.
Go to the PlayStore or AppStore and update Discord.
Fix #10: Re-install the Discord App
If none of the above fixes work, you can try re-installing the Discord app. This will delete all the data of the app from your phone, but it will also install a fresh copy of the app. So, there is a chance that this could fix the problem.
To re-install Discord, follow these steps:
- First, open your phone’s settings and go to “Apps.”
- Find and tap on the Discord app.
- Tap on “Uninstall.”
- Confirm it, and the app will be uninstalled.
- Now, go to the PlayStore or AppStore and install the Discord app again.
After You Fix Discord Not Working
Now that you have fixed the problem, you can use Discord without any problems. But you should do a few things to ensure the problem doesn’t come back.
- First of all, update your operating system and all the apps on your phone. This will ensure that you are using the latest versions of everything and that there are no bugs.
- Secondly, if you were using a VPN when the problem occurred, make sure to disable it. Sometimes, VPNs can cause problems with apps and services. So, it is best to turn them off when not needed.
- Lastly, never install any app from unknown sources. This is because these apps can be malicious and cause problems with your phone. So, always install apps from the PlayStore or AppStore.
Discord With VPN
VPNs are great for privacy and security. But, they can also cause problems with apps and services. Many users had reported that they were not able to use Discord when they were using a VPN. So, if you are using a VPN, disable it and see if it fixes the problem.
If you still have problems with Discord, you can contact their support. They will be able to help you with any problems you are having.
You can contact Discord support by going to their website and clicking on the “Contact Us” link. The Discord team is very responsive and will usually get back to you within a few hours.
Here are some tips that will help you avoid this problem in the future:
- Always keep your operating system and apps up to date.
- If you are using a VPN, disable it when not needed.
- Never install any app from unknown sources.
- Use a reliable antivirus program.
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs)
Do you still have some questions? Here are some answers to the most common questions:
How do I stop Discord from crashing?
If you are using an outdated version of Discord, it can cause the app to crash. So, make sure to update Discord to the latest version. You can also try reinstalling the app.
Q: I updated Discord, but the problem is still there. What should I do?
A: Try re-installing the app. This will delete all the app’s data from your phone, but it will also install a fresh copy of the app. So, there is a chance that this could fix the problem.
Q: I’m still having problems with Discord. What should I do?
A: You can contact Discord support by going to their website and clicking on the “Contact Us” link. The Discord team is very responsive and will usually get back to you within a few hours.
Can I Do Anything To Fix Discord Server Issues?
No, if the servers are down, all you can do is wait for them to come back up. There is nothing else you can do in this case.
So, these are some of the most common problems with Discord and how to fix them. If you are still having problems, you can contact their support. And always remember to keep your operating system and apps up to date. Thanks for reading!
I hope this article helped you fix the problem. If it did, please share it with your friends so they can also fix their problems. And if you have any questions, please leave a comment below. Thanks for reading!