Is your WhatsApp chatbox clogged with one-time messages sent to a delivery boy or non-frequent contacts? Or, if you wish to chit-chat privately with your friends, you can send disappearing messages on WhatsApp. The disappearing messages delete automatically after a certain time interval.
If you are an active WhatsApp user, you can send disappearing messages on WhatsApp by opening a specific chatbox. Then, Tap on the name of the contact→Tap on the Disappearing Messages tab → Select the message timer accordingly to enable the disappearing message feature.
Once you enable the disappearing messages options, messages will automatically delete after a specific time in the chat.
Let’s dive into detail about the new feature of disappearing messages and understand how to send disappearing messages on WhatsApp by performing simple and easy steps.
What Are Disappearing Messages On WhatsApp?
The new feature of disappearing messages on WhatsApp is the most awaited messaging feature. Disappearing messages in the chat disappear after the selected time limit. The messages are automatically deleted after the specified time for everyone involved in the chat.
Disappearing messages on WhatsApp are introduced for more privacy and storage. The unwanted messages and chats on WhatsApp mess up the chatbox. Thus, to delete the one-time messages and private conversations within a certain time, WhatsApp introduced a disappearing message feature.
Along with end-to-end encryption, disappearing messages play a vital role in securely shielding the privacy of WhatsApp users. The messages sent after enabling disappearing messages options are ephemeral. You can even send photos and documents as disappearing messages.
But, the disappearing message feature has a limitation, as users can save the message before its automatic disappearance. Users can take screenshots or forward the message to another contact to save the messages. So, while using disappearing messages, ensure the contact is trustworthy.
How To Send Disappearing Messages On WhatsApp On Android?
Disappearing messages are enabled for individual chats. However, you cannot enable disappearing messages for all the chats on WhatsApp in one go. Instead, you need to open a specific chatbox and enable disappearing messages individually.
To send disappearing messages on WhatsApp on Android devices, follow the following steps:
- First, open WhatsApp app from the App drawer.
- Then, tap on the Chats tab at the top of the chat threads.
- Next, tap on the specific chat where you want to send a disappearing message.
You can open a new chat by tapping on the new message icon at the bottom right of the chat window and tapping on the contact you want to send a disappearing message.
- Once the chat box opens, tap on the contact name at the top of the chatbox.
- A window will appear with chat settings. Scroll down the settings and look for the disappearing messages option.
Tap on the disappearing messages option to open the timer settings.
- On the message timer, tap on the desired time (24 hours, seven days, 90 days) you want to disappear the message.
Now, you can chat as usual in the chatbox. All the new messages will disappear at the specified time in the chat.
You can privately chat with the contact without worrying about storage and privacy using the disappearing message feature. The chat will delete for everyone in the desired time duration. Therefore, you do not need to delete individual messages one by one.
How To Send Disappearing Messages On WhatsApp On iOS?
The disappearing message feature of WhatsApp is also available on iOS devices. So if you want to send messages that are automatically deleted in the specified time, you can opt for the disappearing messages feature on iOS devices.
You can send disappearing messages on WhatsApp on iOS devices by:
- First, open the WhatsApp app from the App drawer.
- Then, tap on the Chats tab at the bottom of the WhatsApp app.
- Then, open the chat thread of the contact you want to send a disappearing message. Next, tap on the contact’s name at the top left of the screen.
- As you tap the contact’s name, a list of options appears. Scroll down the options to find the disappearing message options.
- Then, tap the disappearing message option to open a pop-up window with an instruction summary of the feature. Finally, tap on Continue to open the message timer.
- Select the desired message timer and go to the chatbox.
Now, you can type your message and send it to the contact. After enabling the disappearing message feature, the new messages will delete after the specified time duration.
If the disappearing message option is not available on your device, consider updating WhatsApp in PlayStore or App Store.
How To Disable Disappearing Messages On WhatsApp On Android?
You may have enabled the disappearing message option to send secret or one-time wanted messages on your device. Now, do you consider disabling the disappearing message option?
To disable the disappearing messages on WhatsApp on Android devices:
- First, open the WhatsApp app and the specific chat box where you want to disable the message.
- Then, tap on the contact’s name at the top left to open the chatbox.
- Next, scroll to the bottom to search for the disappearing message options.
Then, tap on the disappearing message option.
- A list of message timer options is available; tap on OFF at the bottom of the timer option.
The new messages will not disappear as you have successfully disabled the disappearing messages feature on WhatsApp. If you want to enable the feature again, follow the steps to enable disappearing messages on WhatsApp on Android devices.
How To Disable Disappearing Messages On WhatsApp On iOS?
If you are an iOS user, you can use the same procedure as Android devices to disable the disappearing messages option on WhatsApp on iOS devices.
Remember, once you disable the disappearing messages options, the messages will no longer automatically delete from both chat ends. Instead, you need to manually delete the messages from both sides within one hour of sending the message.
To disable disappearing messages on WhatsApp on iOS:
- First, open the WhatsApp app from the App drawer. Then tap on the Chats tab at the bottom left.
- On the Chats tab, tap on the specific chatbox where you have enabled the disappearing message option.
Then, tap on the contact’s name at the top left of the chatbox.
- As you open the chat settings by tapping on the contact’s name, scroll down to search for the disappearing messages option.
Next, tap on the disappearing message option to open other additional settings.
- Tap on the Off option available at the bottom of the message timer option.
Now, all the new messages will not disappear further; you need to delete the messages from both sides to maintain privacy manually.
How To Send Disappearing Photos and Videos On WhatsApp?
Do you wish to send private photos and videos to your contacts? But, you may be worried about privacy concerns. But, you need not panic as WhatsApp has allowed users to send videos and photos as disappearing messages.
To send disappearing photos and videos on WhatsApp on Android/iOS, you can enable the disappearing message option in the specific chat. Once you enable the disappearing message option in your chat settings, you can send photos and videos as usual.
The photos and videos will automatically delete from both sides of the chat. But, the time duration of automatic deletion of the messages is lengthy. Your contact may forward the photo to another contact to save videos for later use.
Thus, to overcome such limitations of the disappearing message feature, you can simply send photos or videos by enabling the view once option.
To send photos and videos to allow them to view once- Select the photo you want to send or click the photo using WhatsApp → Tap on the small icon beside the send button at the bottom right → Hit the Send button. Now, the view once option is enabled, and the receiver can only view the photo once, and it doesn’t save in the phone’s gallery.
But, remember, the receiver may take a screenshot of the photo to save in the gallery. So, only send private videos and photos to trusted contacts.
How To Enable Disappearing Messages On WhatsApp for All Chats
You may get tired of enabling disappearing messages on WhatsApp for a long list of individual chats. WhatsApp offers options in the Settings tab to enable disappearing messages for all chats at once to resolve this issue.
Therefore to enable disappearing messages on WhatsApp for all chats at once:
- First, open WhatsApp app from the App drawer. Then, tap on the Chats tab to display chats threads on the screen.
- Now, go to WhatsApp settings by tapping on the three-dotted icon at the top right in Android.
In iOS devices, tap on the Settings option at the bottom right of the screen.
- Then, on the settings, go to the Account settings and tap on Privacy.
- Once you tap on Privacy, a list of privacy settings appears. Scroll the screen down to search for the disappearing messages option.
- In the disappearing message option, tap on the default message timer setting.
A list of timer options is displayed on the screen as you tap.
- Finally, tap on the desired time duration to vanish the messages from the chat.
Now, as you send new messages or start a new chat, the messages will automatically delete from both sides at the designated time.
Alternatively, you can open an individual chatbox and tap on the contact’s name. Then, tap on the try a default message timer in the disappearing message option. After that, all the new chats will start as disappearing chats.
You can disable the disappearing message option any time following the same procedure. Tap on the Off option under the message timer options at the final step.
How To Send Disappearing Messages On WhatsApp On Laptop?
If you are using WhatsApp on your laptop, you can easily send disappearing messages on WhatsApp. The process is similar to iOS or Android device.
To send disappearing messages on WhatsApp on a laptop:
- First, open the WhatsApp app or WhatsApp web on your laptop. Then, link the mobile WhatsApp app with the laptop if you are using WhatsApp on the laptop for the first time.
- Then, click on the conversation you wish to send disappearing messages on WhatsApp.
Tap on the contact’s name at the top as the chat thread appears.
- A window with chat settings pops up on the right side of the screen. Scroll down to look for the disappearing message option on the chat settings.
- Click on it and select ‘ON’ in the window as you find the option.
Remember that you cannot select a custom time for messages to disappear on the laptop. By default, the messages will disappear in 7 days.
- Now go to the chatbox and send a message as usual. After enabling the disappearing message option, the messages you send will vanish automatically in seven days from both sides of the chat.
Also, disabling the disappearing message option on the laptop follows the same process. Click on the Off option under disappearing messages settings in the last step.
As disappearing message is a new feature of WhatsApp, you may have several queries regarding the functionality. Look below at some of the frequently asked questions about disappearing messages.
Can You Disappear Old Messages In The Chat On WhatsApp?
WhatsApp does not allow users to apply disappearing message options in old messages. The new chats will vanish after enabling the disappearing message option in the designated time duration. The old messages and chats on WhatsApp are unaffected.
Can The User See Disappearing Messages After The Time Limit?
No users cannot see disappearing messages in the chatbox after the time limit. The disappearing message is designed to delete the messages in the chatbox after the time limit. But like every other feature, this feature, too has limitations.
The receiver of your messages can save the messages, photos, and videos sent as disappearing messages to view later. The receiver can take a screenshot of the message or reply to the message on the chat or forward the message to other users to prevent losing the message.
So, before sending a private message as a disappearing message, ensure that the receiver is trustworthy and that they don’t hamper your privacy.
Can You Reply To Disappearing Messages On WhatsApp?
Yes, you can reply to disappearing messages on WhatsApp. The new reply feature of WhatsApp functions in normal chats and disappearing chats.
Can You Forward Disappearing Messages On WhatsApp?
Yes, users can forward disappearing messages to other users on WhatsApp. It is the limitation of the disappearing messages feature. The forwarded message is saved in the receiver’s phone, and users can view the message even after the designated period.
Can You Send Disappearing Messages On WhatsApp Group?
Yes, you can send disappearing messages on the WhatsApp group. But, the major issue in sending disappearing messages on WhatsApp groups is that only the admin can send the disappearing messages. The group participants other than the admin can not send disappearing messages on the WhatsApp group.
Can Someone See If You Enable The Disappearing Message Option For A Chat?
Yes, both users are notified once you enable the disappearing message option in a chat. As soon as you enable the disappearing message option, the notification is displayed in the chatbox, and the message time duration is shown in the notification. The chat participant will know that the disappearing message feature is turned on.
Can Other Person Disable The Disappearing Message Option On WhatsApp?
Yes, the other person in the chat can disable the disappearing message option from their chat end. The person can simply tap on the notification shown on the chatbox after enabling the disappearing message option and turn it off. In addition, you will get a notification if the other person disables the option.
So, you can send disappearing messages to your WhatsApp contact by using simple steps. The disappearing message feature is very useful for maintaining privacy and managing storage on WhatsApp. Thus, opt for the disappearing messages feature to delete the messages within the specified time duration automatically.