Did you know you can fix your discord if it is not an opening with the help of some simple methods? You might have searched for the solution to this problem on the internet and ended up in this article. But you don’t have to be panic. You have come to the right article.
In this article, I am writing down all the possible methods that I have tried and later succeed in fixing this problem. Moreover, we are going to discuss the causes of these problems. I will also give you some of the question’s answers that are often asked by the user. Up till then, ask yourselves, is your discord updated?
Why Are You Getting Discord Won’t Open problem?
A couple of times, I have used this app. With my research, I have listed some of the reasons that might be causing these problems. There is no exact explanation which is responsible for these problems. However, this app is not responsible for most of the errors you are facing. Here are some of the reasons why you might be having such problems:
Your Internet Connection
You require a fast internet connection to use the online discord app. If your internet is slow, it will be difficult to open your discord because you need an active and fast internet connection to send or receive messages and calls. Your slow connection makes it difficult for your discord app to download and upload packs of data. Therefore, this might be one of the reasons your discord is not opening.
Bugs In Your Discord App
Popular apps like discord need to be updated from time to time to make it better every day to remain in the competition against other similar platforms.
You might have updated this app, and the new update may contain some bugs. For this reason, you are not able to open your discord app. If you doubt that your discord is facing this type of problem, you are free to contact the developers. Besides, discord app developers are helpful enough to help you solve this problem after taking some measures.
Using Older Version of App
If you are using the older version of the discord app and your discord is not opening, this might be the right time to update your discord app. Moreover, by updating your app, you can access new features, and the developers might solve this problem. Besides, older versions become slower once the update is available.
Your Antivirus is mainly installed on your desktop to prevent suspicious files and folders from running in your system. So, there might be chances that your antivirus software may have seen your discord as a suspicious app. As a result, your discord is not opening. I am not saying you shouldn’t install your antivirus software on your desktop. But you can turn off your antivirus software to use your discord app.
Now, you have an idea about the problems that stop your discord from opening. So, let’s jump into the solutions to fix this problem.
What To Do When Your Discord Doesn’t Open
Among all the listed problems, any one of them might be creating this problem. But the fact is that your discord app runs, although it does not open. If you don’t believe me, you can check your task manager to see your discord in the running process. I know after reading the problem, you might have thought it would be difficult for you to fix this problem.
But I have a piece of good news for you. And that is this problem does have solutions. So, I request you to follow these solutions one after another until and unless you can open your discord.
Kill Discord From Task Manager
If you are facing this problem, restarting your application by task manager is the best solution. Moreover, this simple method is the way to go for many users to overcome this problem.
If you are not familiar with the steps to kill discord from the task manager, you can follow these steps:
- Press and hold either (Ctrl+ Alt+ Delete) or (Ctrl+ Shift+ Esc). Your task manager box will be open
- Select the Processes Tab
- Scroll through the list and find discord.exe
- Click on discord.exe to select it.
- Click on End Task
Now, you can close the task manager and relaunch the discord app.
Clear App Data and Local Data
If the above solution doesn’t work, you can try this solution. You can clear your app data and local data of your discord app. Moreover, you can use this solution in any app.
When you do these simple things on your desktop or mobile phones, it deletes all the junk files. Besides, these junk files might cause you trouble if it exists for a longer time. By deleting these junk files, it could save you from other problems.
If you are having trouble clearing both app data and local data, you can follow these steps.
To Clear App Data
- Firstly, you need to press your Windows+ R key and wait for a dialogue box to appear.
- The dialogue box is your Run option. Now, you have to enter a command %appdata% in the search box then click on ok.
- Now, search for the discord folder inside the AppData folder. After you have located the folder, right-click on the folder and delete that folder.
To Clear Local Data
The steps to clear local data is similar to app data.
- At first, you need to open the Run option. You can follow the steps mentioned above.
- After you have open the Run option dialogue box, you have to enter a command %localappdata% in the search box then click on ok.
- Now, locate the discord folder and delete it like the previous method.
By following these above-mentioned methods, you can delete all the junk data of app data and local app data. After following these steps, try to open your discord.
If you are still facing the same type of problem, you can try another solution, which is listed below:
Set Your Date and Time Correctly
I can assure you most of you do not know that your desktop date and time are indirectly connected with your internet. Without the internet, your app does not work. Similarly, your internet does not work without setting up the date and time correctly. Therefore, your desktop date and time and your discord app are indirectly connected.
If your date and time are correct, you can skip this method. However, if it is incorrect, you can follow the steps which are listed below:
- Firstly, you need to press your Windows Key + I to open your windows settings.
- After some time, the windows setting dialogue box appear. Now, tap on Time and Language to go inside it.
- Inside Time and Language option, you will see Date and Time.
- Now, turn on both Set Time Automatically and Set Time Zone Automatically.
After the completion of these steps, you can restart your PC and open your discord.
Disable Your Proxies
You might be using a VPN while using your internet. If you are doing so, your discord is showing an error as a result of the same. If you are not using proxies, this step is not for you. But if you are then, you can use the following steps to disable your proxies.
- At first, you need to press Windows Key+ R to open your Run Window.
- After you have open the Run option pop up box, type “control” in the search box then click on ok this will lead to your control panel dialogue box.
- Inside the control panel, you need to find and click on Network and Internet.
- Now, click on Internet Options.
- Internet Properties dialogue box appears. Now, go to the Connections tab and click on LAN settings.
- Once you have entered the LAN settings, find the Proxy Server section and ensure that Use a Proxy Server for your LAN is unmarked.
- Click Ok below. Now, you can launch your discord to use it.
Reset Your DNS
If the above methods do not seem to work, your DNS might be corrupted. As a result, it stops the discord app from opening. Moreover, by resetting your DNS, you can remove all your cached DNS files. Therefore, you should reset your DNS once.
If you do not know how to reset your DNS, you can follow these steps:
- Firstly, you need to open your Run dialogue box. To do that, you need to right-click on the windows start menu and select Run from the menu. You can also press your Windows+ R key to the open Run dialogue box.
- Enter the CMD command to open your command prompt.
- Type the command ipconfig/flushdns in the command prompt.
- Now, hit enter and exit your command prompt.
After following these steps, DNS will be reset automatically. Now, you can open your discord and use it. If this step does not work, you can use other methods on the list.
Run Your SFC Scan
You can scan and remove corrupted files from your system through System File Checker (SFC) command. If you do not know how to run your SFC scan, you can follow these steps:
- At first, you need to open the command prompt through “run” from the start menu. You can follow the steps mentioned in the previous method to open the Run command.
- After you have open the command prompt, you have to enter the command SFC/scannow. Now, hit enter. Your scanning process will take 15 minutes to complete.
Now, after the completion of the scanning process, you can open your discord.
Try To Log In Through Web Browser
- Firstly, go to the link https://discord.com/brand-new/download
- Enter your username and password to login into your account.
- After login, you can either use the web version or switch to your app version.
You can find this method helpful, even though it looks simple. If all the above-given ways do not work, don’t worry. There is the last option left.
Reinstall Your Discord
I am sure that you are ready to use this method because all of the options that I mentioned above do not work quite well for you. Now, the only way that remains is to remove your discord from the app and reinstall it. Moreover, by reinstalling it, you may delete those error codes, which is stopping your discord opening. The steps are as follows:
- Firstly, you need to open the command prompt through Run. You can follow the steps mentioned in the previous method to open the Run command.
- Type appwiz.cpl command and hit enter.
- In the given list, right-click on discord and select uninstall.
- To reinstall, you can go to the official website of discord and then install it.
Did You Know? 3 Ways To Join Discord App
You do not always need to fix the problems. You can find out other means to use the app itself. If you have already used it, then you might have some idea about this app. But if you are a beginner and do not have much experience, this topic could be useful for you.
Besides, discord is useful while playing games. With the help of this app, you can easily communicate with your friends through text and video chat while playing games. Moreover, you can use discord to call your friends, create and join servers, live streams, etc.
I was only familiar with the desktop discord app personally. I find it way easier to have some other options so that I do not have to end the game if my discord suddenly stops working. You can join discord in three different ways, and they are as follows:
Discord Web App
You can use your discord through most of the web browsers. If you are using the discord web app, the push to talk feature only works when the browser window is in focus so, it is unavailable while playing. One of the main benefits of the discord web app is you can use your discord web app anywhere because you do not have to download or install anything.
Discord Desktop App
You can download and use a desktop version of discord when you use a web app and a desktop app. Furthermore, you can notice a similarity in functionality between these apps. Your push to talk feature is enabled all the time in your discord desktop app. Moreover, the desktop app can show your friends what game you are playing.
Discord Mobile App
Besides the web app and desktop app, you can also use your discord through your smartphone. All you have to do is download your discord mobile app from Google Play Store.
You might find it easier to play your favorite games like PUBG and Free Fire with your friends because it is easier to communicate through your discord mobile app. Furthermore, it will be easier for you to swipe your screen and talk with your friends while playing these games. Besides, you can join the server with your friend and can swipe the right to communicate with your friends through voice and text and swipe left to see a list of all the members on the servers.
After reading this topic, you must be wondering, Is Discord Just for Gaming Content? or there are other things you can do with the help of this app. So, this is one of the questions that is asked by most of the users. However, this is not entirely true. To find out more, let’s jump into another topic.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Discord Safe?
When it comes to safety, I can assure your privacy with discord. However, when it comes to the messaging app, there might be some risk. You can use your discord safely by not accepting friend requests from any strangers. Moreover, you should take part in private servers with the people who are on your friend list.
Is Discord for Gamers Only?
You can use discord for not only online games but you can also use it for connecting your family and friends and much more. Moreover, when you search for the discord app. You will find discord as “Chat for Gamers.” You do not have to be a gamer to use this app, although gaming, music, anime are the desired section of this app.
Discord consists of lots of features which is similar to Skype and WhatsApp. Therefore, you can use this app to chat with your friends and other social groups.
In conclusion, it is quite frustrating when you are not able to open your discord. I know because I have faced it, and by using these above-listed ways, I have overcome this problem. One tip I would like to give you is that try to use multiple methods because sometimes the root problem is caused by different errors.
Thank you for reading this article, “How to Fix Discord Won’t Open Problem” till the end. I hope this article has helped you to solve your discord problem. If you have queries or any suggestions regarding this topic, you can write in the comment section below.